Wednesday, January 11, 2017

{ A Homemaker's Day }

Homemaking

From the moment the alarm clock goes off at 5:30am, my feet hit the ground and I feel like I'm constantly on the go, with very few, if any breaks in between.

And there seems to be some sort of undercover radar that goes off the minute my butt hits the couch, it's quite hilarious at this point.

But let's talk about a homemaker's day.  I've made so many posts on this subject that I think at this point, all of my readers know where I stand, how I feel and what I think about homemaking.  Thing is, there are always new readers, and sometimes it helps to be reminded of just how important our job is, however boring or mundane it may seem at times.

Homemaking

We can choose to look at homemaking as a horrible cross to bear, or we can embrace it and everything it brings, and count our blessings.

Content!!!!!

That is my word for this year, absolute content.  Content in my marriage, in my role as a mother, as a homemaker, just content in my life and where we are at this point, no matter what is going on around us.

It really is a choice we make every single day.

Remember what I was talking about a few posts ago?  When I mentioned that I lost my homemaking mojo?  Well I had stopped caring and stopped looking at what I do, as important.  I just went about every day, that was my mission, to just get through that day and do only the very essential tasks needed for it.

What it brought me wasn't contentment.  It was sadness, a sense of disappointment and a feeling of being utterly useless, plus I just wasn't enjoying my home, it didn't feel cozy or like it reflected me.

So I changed that, this year I went back to doing what I love, and I can't even begin to tell you how much happiness it has already brought me.  Things seem lighter, life seems better, my home is MINE again and I'm thrilled and tackle each day with a new sense of purpose.

But come along with me and let me show you what a day in my homemaking life, is usually like.

5:30 am I am up with hubby, I make him coffee before he heads to work and make myself some coffee and breakfast too.

Homemaking

Homemaking

I don't have to do this, I could stay in bed, or go back to bed after he leaves, but that is usually when I am able to sit quietly with Marley, drink my coffee, eat my toast and catch up on some of my shows.

Homemaking

Laundry quickly follows, there is always a never ending pile of clothes to wash, clothes to fold, clothes to put away.

And I don't know how many of you have teenage boys, but let me tell you something, from the loads and loads of clothes I wash every week, most of the laundry belongs to my 13 year old son.  Like.....what on earth?

A pile for me, a pile for my husband, a pile for my daughter who is almost 18 and you would think had the most clothes, and then 3 or 4 piles for the boy.  Crazy!!!

Homemaking

Homemaking

It's everywhere, I just bring it into the den, drop it onto the couch and fold and organize from there.  It's my center of organization, easier to go to every room from that one spot.

Homemaking

Usual tidying, dusting, vacuuming etc.  One of the biggest pleasures I get out of homemaking is just glancing around my home.  I try to add little touches here and there, that make smile.

Homemaking

My notebook holds my thoughts, ideas for upcoming blog posts, movies or tv shows I want to watch, books I want to read etc.

I keep it nearby, because if I see something I want to remember or go back and look at, I just quickly jot it in there.

Homemaking

My house always has some sort of delicious scent burning away.  I have 3 scentsy warmers and I don't think that is near enough, I would like to get one for every room in the house, but we are doing a no spend month, so that will have to wait as it's not a necessity :)

Homemaking

My Poinsettias are still going strong, I want to actually transplant them into my big planters, but am putting it off for a little longer, just until all our frost days have passed.


Homemaking

One thing I've been working on a little every day, is organizing my kitchen cabinets.  When we moved here I sort of just put things where I thought they would go best but after living in the house for almost 2 years, it's clear some things aren't working, or I want to switch it up and so forth.

I got these wire baskets with the chalkboard labels, from our cousin, and I just love them.

Usually I keep my kitchen towels in a drawer, but I have so many that they were overflowing, and also the kids tend to rummage through the door for a towel and leave all the others in a heapy mess.  Then there's the times they can't find one, or I can't find one, so I'm trying out the basket method and we'll see how that goes.

Homemaking

My coffee area is another work in process, I have yet to find the best method for me.  I've tried a few things, baskets, cake stands etc, but nothing was working.  For now I just have this little metal rack with some coffee pods and my Cath Kidston mugs.   Let's see how this goes.

Homemaking

Little boy is always around me, he just loves being near people.  I'm so thankful that he is now 4 months old and has calmed down immensely from his crazy puppy days, it made things so much harder.

Homemaking

And he loves my crochet, the minute I set down a block to take a picture, he is all over it.  Sweet Marley :)

Homemaking

Through all the homemaking, I try to find moments of reflection, of me time, of breathing and enjoying a cup of tea or coffee.  While I'm waiting for dinner to cook, or while I'm waiting for the washer to finish so I can unload it, in between cleaning and mopping, that is when I'll quickly steal a little time to crochet or read.

Here is my newest blanket.  I'm enjoying seeing it come together.  I'm not exactly following the pattern, or at least that is not my plan, I want to change it up a bit and make it my own.  So I don't know how it will all turn out in the end, but for now, this is where we are at.

Homemaking

I do hope I haven't bored you with all my photos and blabbing, but I really do love what I do, I love being a homemaker and I'm so beyond thrilled that I snapped out of the past 2 years and back into my role as a mom, wife, and homemaker.  It's what makes me happy!!!

Next time you are about to tackle the dishes, or that dirty floor, do yet another pile of laundry or take out the trash for what seems the millionth time, just smile, smile and remember that you are doing something worthwhile and extremely important.

You are giving your family and especially your children, memories that they will forever cherish and hold near their hearts.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sandra.
It always brings joy to my heart when I read your blog.
Once again your simplicity and truthfulness touched me, I can relate.
I feel like encouraging you but in return, you encourage me. Keep up your work because it is a blessing to many.
God bless you and your family

Pamela said...

I am really enjoying my time at home right now. I hope to go back to work full-time but until the right opportunity comes up, it's so nice to be right where I am. I, too, get up with my husband in the morning - early mornings like yours. Even when he was working, he always left before I did so I would stand at the door to blow a kiss and wave goodbye. I remember some years ago that one of my neighbors commented on our little routine rather cattily and I thought that was sad. Sad that she felt it was something to laugh about in a mean way and sad that she didn't have that little extra moment of closeness with her husband. There's just no understanding some people. Anyway, with Vic gone, it's off to make a cup of coffee and have a little computer time. I have to plan my schedule so that if I do go back to work, I still have this computer time. It's wonderful to blog regularly and to catch up with everyone I have missed over the past few months. Content is a lovely word for 2017 - I wish you much happiness and contentment in your home.

Lulu said...

i love your blogs sandra..love seeing it regular now..
your project is beautiful..

Jenny said...

I really needed to hear this. Thank you so much for this post, Sandra.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I so enjoyed the visit with you! Love the thoughts you shared and the lovely pictures to. I get frustrated with my housework only because I can no longer do it the way I want to. I love to clean but my body has other ideas.

Tanja said...

Thank you for sharing your days. I love this kind of posts, they are cozy and motivate me to do my homemaking tasks. I've been sick a few weeks ago and did not much in the home for a long time, so it's hard to pick up again.
I would love to see what scents you melt in your scentsywarmers. I love scented candles and waxmelts, they just give that extra cozy feeling to the home, dont you think :o)
And I also love that you share your crochet projects.

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Belgium)